- Define foreign policy, diplomacy, and national security policy; explain how these policies shape the position of the United States in the world.
- Explain the president’s role in setting foreign policy and national security policy; compare those powers to the powers of the Congress.
- Trace the evolution of United States foreign policy from isolationism to global leadership.
- Explain the origins of the war on terror and explain how it has influenced domestic policy and relations with other nations.
- Discuss the security and diplomatic challenges facing the United States today.
- Describe the current distribution of nuclear weapons in the world and the efforts to control further proliferation of these weapons.